Monday, August 27, 2007

L-Town

Well my first time out of the Rio since I got there! I went back to L-Town for the Cardona’s wedding. It was a great time that involved plenty of old friends and alcohol; good mix. The wedding was perfect, it took place at a nice little Baptist Church in Lawrence and then the reception was at Abe & Jakes. I know what you’re thinking, for those of you that know Abe & Jakes it’s a bar atmosphere but it fit the bill perfectly for the reception; It had plenty of dance space, plenty of space for tables and was open enough for people to move around and congregate. One of the cool things that everyone there got to observe was Eddie’s Best Man, an army soldier that had been hit by an IED in Iraq. He lost his leg and was meant to be in a wheel chair to come down the isle but instead used a walker to come down the isle and surprised everyone; something special he wanted to do for Eddie and Kari.





It was a little weird being back in Lawrence for the first time since I had left because this time I was not coming back for school. It was cool to see all the new students moving in everywhere around town. I thought to myself as I drove by about what they might do with their futures; what lays in store them. At the same time I began thinking about why I do what I do, to protect our way of thinking and the right to educate ourselves about the world. I continue to enjoy the satisfaction and sense of purpose I have in the world today; keeping the scientist thinking, the philosophers questioning, the engineers designing, the teachers educating, and just the overall desire to know…anything to push mankind to the next level. Overall a great trip.

No comments: